Friday, August 30, 2013

Online Genealogy Databases

As I have mentioned before, I am not the biggest fan of online genealogy databases. Many online databases can be viewed by amateur researchers as “fact” and may never have a researcher check the source or reference the data for themselves. While I have never been supportive of the idea of posting a full genealogy database to the internet, there are a few databases that I tend to use when I am stuck and need a little insight. The first two of these are specific to Charlotte County:

  • Arnie Krause's Forest of Trees
  • David James' St. Croix Valley Roots
  • Roger Hétu's Acadie de la Nouvelle-Écosse

    Again, these databases are not error free but folks like Arnie Krause and David James are doing their best to maintain a pretty good database. As with all data obtain from websites, always research the source and double check information. Update: I have learned that Roger Hétu may have suffered a stroke recently. Best wishes/get well soon to Roger.

  • No comments:

    Post a Comment